Thursday, May 27, 2010

The glitz and the glamour

As trip comes depressingly close to the end I had a great day, for which I am struggling with what was THE highlight? Two things stand out and what contrasts.

Was it the stunning mix of money and glamour of Puerto Banus. Or was it the old barking woman in Marbella town? Yeah, you heard right. Barking woman. As I was sat, minding my own business, having a couple of cervecas and a plate of olives I suddenly heard this very authentic barking noise. Having to investigate, I discovered an old woman on the balcony of her apartment having a barking contest with a little jack russell type dog. And I have to tell you, she was coming out on top, and drawing quite a large crowd to boot.

So, the other highlight was Puerto Banus, playground to the rich and famous, some 6kms out of Marbella town. As I was in no rush, and it was a gorgeous day, I took a stroll from Marbella to Puerto Banus taking just over an hour. And it was so worth the walk. A beautiful marina in which some of the world's greatest boats are moored. Honestly, its breathtaking to think that people actually own these boats. You could fit my apartment in the life raft attached to the sides of some of them.



The cars parked along the port kind of give the game away. Two white Lamborghinis, a red and a jet black Ferrari, numerous Bentleys and the odd Aston Martin thrown in. Oh yeah, and a pink Audi TT.



I had already made up my mind I was coming back in the evening, and the first stop was Astrals cocktail bar for a macho drink to start the evening. This must rank amongst one of the nicest drinks I have tasted. And I have had a few. Not cheap at €10.90 a pop but I felt like a millionaire for the night sat in the bar, on the beach, overlooking the boats. It must have gone to my head slightly as I ordered a second. Slightly different cocktail but no less macho!



It was then time to stroll along the front of the port, alongside the marina hugging restaurants. And this is where I needed an elastic band around my head, to keep my jaws together and to stop my tongue falling out. I just hope those girls were wearing clean underwear as the whole world was gonna see it as soon as you sat down.

I first wondered how many girls could have forgotten to get dressed and come out in only a very short, very figure hugging vest I know it is warm but that's just bloody ridiculous. It then dawned on me that they were supposed to be dresses. Not in my day young lady! There are no photos for legal reasons :-)



I also realised why there were so many cosmetic surgeons in town. Their results were very impressive and after paying so much dinero it was obvious these girls wanted the whole world to know where sugar daddy's money had gone. Money well spent Senor.

This, i'm afraid where my night came to an end. I would love to report how I spent the night partying, dancing the night away, seeing the sun rise from the deck of one of those impressive boats, and wandered home with a half empty champagne bottle.

However, despite having champagne tastes, I had a lemonade budget so the night ended with me quaffing a few wines back in Marbella old town.

But what a night!